Today we started to get the motors working with the Relays and Arduino, and varying in speed depending on the magnitude of the earthquakes in real time! Here are a couple of videos showing the motor working, and one with a square bit of cardboard attached to show the speed which we can change by pulsing the relay more or less. Plus it can give us an idea of the dimensions of the finished equipment so we can think out about the best wheel to construct for the motor that will hold a magnet at one point.
The overall plan is now going to change slightly as we will split the earth into quarters, as the maths for working out north, south etc was too complex. But at least this way we can call the 4 areas, north west, north east etc.
So far we've managed to get our Arduino board receiving a live Earthquake RSS feed via Processing. Today’s task was to get the feed powering a motor...
- Firstly the code pulls in the magnitude of the latest earthquake and saves it to a variable.
- This will activate the motor (higher the magnitude = faster the motor).
- The code will then continually check for a new earthquake.
- Upon finding a new earthquake it will add the magnitude of the latest one to the previous ones.
- This in turn increases the speed of the motor.
Now the next step is to have 4 variables (1 for each motor)
Each one being added to, depending on the location of the earthquake (North East South West).