We have power, but currently too much power! After some terrible barely charged batteries we got some from Maplins that are the same as the ones we used for the Ferrofluid Electromagnet project a few months ago. The batteries are great, but the only issue - believe it or not - is that they are too healthy and have too much charge!! So we have ordered some Miniature Potentiometers that will enable us to lower the power getting to the motors (kind of like a customisable realtime resistor) so that we can have the earthquakes slowly build up (depending on different earthquake strengths) instead of the motors automatically maxing out due the power from these healthy batteries! So these should be in stock by the end of the week. Luckily we were able to test the code with an old used battery before it ran out and you can see it moving the motor/wheel to a small earthquake below showing the code definitely works.
After testing a few more drops of Ferrofluid in glass vials (shown in the video above) we have come to the conclusion that for the best result we need to use glass petri dish's, as the plastic ones we have stain almost straight away and ruin the effect. I went to Davy building 3 times today to hopefully get hold of some from the technicians office but every time the office was either empty, locked for lunch, or locked up and shut! So I will have to try again tomorrow.
Here you can also see the wheel and magnets having an effect on a very small amount of Ferrofluid in the glass vial. This shows the proof of concept, but obviously we want the full scale thing to be much bigger and better!