In my head - today was meant to go a lot smoother and we would have full video footage of the complete project by now. Unfortunately we have had a bit of a battle going on, fighting to over come little hiccups that seemed to get solved then come back to play. These issues included problems with wiring (contacts not staying strong), batteries (too much/not enough power), magnets (being magnets and messing around), movement (causing stuff to jump about) and petri dish's (breaking). As of this moment we have only 3 petri dish's as one smashed pretty much just before everything was sorted and ready to go, so tomorrow (thanks to a friend having access to the labs in Davy) we will look for another glass petri dish to use, otherwise we will have to wait to see one of the technicians on Monday. As the presentation is on Tuesday this is cutting it fine, but it should be ok - just closer to the deadline that I would like!
We did manage to get the motor strength to a usable level by using less power (shown in the video above), so gone are the 9V batteries and in its place are 2 AA batteries! The little Potentiometers turned out to be useless, so they went back (a bit of false guidance). But the overall set up is now building up with new earthquakes in a noticeable manner instead of 2 earthquakes and BOOM - full power.
Also we tested a large amount of Ferrofluid in the petri dishes which didn't work well. The Ferrofluid ideally should be submersed fully in water and this couldn't happen with a large amount in the dish. This works out better for us really as it means we use less Ferrofluid and it also looks a lot better! See the video below to see the Ferrofluid being manipulated by the magnets (ITS WORKING!) on the rotating wheel in the housing. It looks different that expected, but it really looks good! So I am looking forward to seeing this across 4 petri dishes now as we are very close to finishing this project, I just hope no more issues arise.