Today everything finally fell into place.
We managed to get some vials which were narrower and deeper (allowing more water and more room to get right over the magnets) that have turned out to work better than the petri dishes in the end. I think it is fair to say the petri dishes look better as part of the housing, but they are too shallow for Ferrofluid. Below shows an updated diagram of how it now works.
This enabled us to finally film it all, and get the documentation we need! We will show the video on Tuesday as well as have it running live there and then. (Watch it in HD Fullscreen!)
When we look at the end product the Ferrofluid isn't as reactive as we had hoped, as mentioned in previous posts the Ferrofluid Lee Nutbean gave us (for a previous project) was more reactive. So to make the project better we would need: higher quality (more expensive) Ferrofluid, circuits made with electronically sound wiring and motors (correct resistance, constant power etc) along with a very precisely made housing - and then the project would look as good as it could possibly be. Admittedly we used Relays as we thought it would have been cheaper than buying a motor shield - but with the amount of batteries we brought it averaged out at the same if not more. With the motor shield we could have been able to control the motors to a much hight percentage of accuracy as well!
Despite this, for the amount of time, money and effort put into the project where we encountered countless issues, the result has been worthwhile! Neither of us are real coders, electricians or scientists, so the fact that we got the result we did really shows our determination throughout this project. To say I am proud of this project would be an understatement.
Thanks must go out to Pete Smithers (Technical Specialist) for providing the glassware. Jon Sigworth for giving us permission to use his track in our presentation video. Hannah Drayson for continued advice and support, and thanks must also go to Lee Nutbean for introducing us to Ferrofluid earlier in the year!