Realtime Final Project - Earthquake Ferrofluid Idea
I spent the main part of today really thinking more about the Realtime final project over with fellow iDAT’er Jay. Although these projects are mainly encouraged to be individual projects if something is big enough you can work as a pair with someone else. We along with 3 other people worked on the Arduino Ferrofluid project a few weeks ago and I have a few urges to continue it once we had finished but I am not good with code so I really wouldn't have been able to do it on my own. But after talking over ideas with Jay we are both very keen to revisit it. Basically we want to use the Ferrofluid to show realtime earthquakes using the RSS feed I found yesterday. To be totally honest we are going to have to talk to Chris Saunders to check the following technology plan will be feasible but this is how we hope to achieve it…
We will have a grid of 9 (3x3) stepper motors connected to an Arduino positioned below a square petri dish full of ferrofluid. On the top of each stepper motor there will be a disk magnet so the higher the point of the stepper motor goes the close the magnet is to the Ferrofluid so more spikes will appear! We will have the motors going up in a scale that matches the Richter scale (1-10) depending on the scale of the earthquakes in the RSS feed.
Ideally we would be able to show the fault lines of a region using the 3x3 grid but the issue is that not every epicenter is in the same place so you wouldn’t be able to be specific with where the magnet should be to represent the earthquake epicenter, it's the 9 points or nothing, so I also though about the 9 points just showing the last 9 earthquakes.
Square petri dish
9 x stepper motors
9 disk magnets
Stand (to raise up the petri dish)
...So after checking with Chris tomorrow that this is possible, and making sure Hannah is ok with the project on Thursday we can start!