This is a 3D version of our Mount Rushmore MrkII model that uses the (Kinect) scanned imagery of our faces that was made in 3ds max.
Firstly it was a real mission to find a computer on campus that a) Had 3ds max b) Wasn’t being used for a test… but eventually we managed to find a computer on the 4th floor of RLB.
Josh managed to find a good tutorial on how to made a mountain in d3s max so we then started to use this tutorial to help us create the mountain that would then have our faces plugged into it! After learning a lot about displace modifiers, material making, and lighting techniques (I have never really used 3ds max before) we managed to produce the mountain and made sure to save multiple copies as we had a few program errors and restarts due to a lack of RAM.
Once the mountain was complete we imported the mesh’s of our faces, and had to scale those models up to the size of the mountain, and then play around finding the best angles to have our faces protruding from the mountainside which eventually gave us our own (questionably better) version of Mount Rushmore!
The final render was not possible on the machines we were using as the computer simply couldn't cope. So hopefully we will be able to render it on the machines in the presentation room tomorrow!