We spent today actually testing the electromagnet with the Ferrofluid itself. Lee very kindly has lent us some of the fluid so before we do our proper presentation next week we used a tiny amount in a little glass vile to make sure it would work.
Before we used the electromagnet we thought would use a little magnet to see how magnetic the Ferrofluid actually was, and it was impressively strong! You can see in the video above it spiking when charged and it following the magnetic field.
When we used the electromagnet on the Ferrofluid but the picture above it is a little hard to see the spikes as the glass vile is a bit stained from the fluid. But I have circled the few spikes. It would be easier to see but we are waiting for the presentation to use a little more of the fluid on Tuesday. Very pleased it works!