Before I was working on my pitch for my surfing car share network I asked for some advice that I could incorporate into some of the things I was going to say during the pitch.
On my placement I was lucky enough to work with a fair few people who have pretty eye opening pasts working as a key piece in companies like Adobe, Nokia and Lotus to name a few.
One of them is Andrew Wyatt who also happened to be the tallest…
Clearswift COO, Internet Security Software. Prior Startups Apertio & Paragon Software. Chelsea fan, retired Volleyball player, Beekeeper in my spare time.
He very kindly gave me the following few pointers to bear in mind when starting a company.
- You have to be 100% customer focused to gain loyalty and trust
- Product - you need a clearly differentiable offering
- You need a well understood channel to market - Partners, direct off a web page etc
- People - great & committed people who are willing to go the extra mile
- Clear vision of what you are trying to achieve... though you don't want to deliver it all on day one
- Get something out the door fast so you can get feedback from real customers
- Flexibility - your plans will never work out as you thought, you need to be able to adapt and change
So I made sure I talked about most of these points in my pitch and I will also keep them ticking over in my mind as I continue to develop my idea.